I have been investigating ways to improve the Things you’ll find interesting links that I’ve been posting for a while, and I’ve finally pulled the trigger on a big change.
They’re now hosted on on Tumblr. Doing this has a number of advantages:
- It puts moves this info to a stable platform. What I was using on the back end was a bit of a hack with limited features.
- It gives me more of a capability to comment on the links — to do some extra curation and create some context for why I thought you’d find this interesting.
For you, it creates options to enjoy this buffet table of information. You can:
- Continue to read Things You Find Interesting here on the blog nightly, but you’ll lose out on most of the curation since the feed won’t carry it over. I’m actually considering canceling this, as I think it’s the least effective way to follow this content, IMHO. But I do think it’s useful for linking the two sites with each other in the eyes of the Great Google, so for now, I’m leaving the daily digest in place.
- Go and visit Chuq Snarks on Tumblr and read it there. In all its Tumblr Glory.
- Subscribe to the Chuq Snarks RSS Feed and read it via your favorite RSS reader.
- Tumblr will post entries to my twitter feed, so you can pick them up there. This, actually, is my preferred way to watch this kind of microblog, because if I’m busy and I miss a few links, the universe isn’t likely to notice (and neither will I. And I promise, if you miss a few links, I won’t hate you…)
I’ve been mulling over how to improve this for a while — the runner up technology was a WordPress blog themed with P2 but the more I looked at Tumblr, the more I felt it was a good base platform and something I wanted to experiment with. The other option — building my own back end — was more work than it deserved right now (but always tempting anyway).
I still think there’s a lot of possibility to be found in linking systems like this; the problem of this kind of information being seen for a couple of days only to disappear into the back end and basically never being seen again is still unsolved, and I think there is a lot of opportunity to make this information more useful if only the discoverability problem can be solved (emphasis on “if only”, and the phrase “famous last words” come to mind).
The content flowing through Chuq Snarks is going to change and expand in a few ways. It is, basically, my home for linking to interesting stuff and commenting on things where I don’t think a full blog post is needed — I’m setting the limit to 1 paragraph or less. If I want to say more than that, I’ll put it here on the main blog. The reason to keep these separate is simply one of clutter; I don’t want the main blog to be filled up with dozens of “minor” pieces that make people not want to follow it or see the less frequent “major” blog posts. So, long form here, short form there. If you want to read it all, you can subscribe to both. If you want to avoid the chatter of lots of “minor” pieces, then ignore the Tumblr with my blessing. “short form blogging” is definitely something that not everyone appreciates, and I’ve tried to be sensitive to that all along.
It should also be noted that implied in the name of the Tumblr blog is that my commentary over there may be a bit more — pointed — than I’ve typically done here on the main blog. What that is going to ultimately mean is still a work in progress, and probably always will be…
Enjoy. And feel free to point interesting stuff in my direction or let me know what you think about what I’m posting…